The mission of the foundation is to transform environmental data into innovative, science-based information products and to provide capacity-building services. GRID-Arendal aims to inform and activate a global audience, mainly decision makers.
GRID-Arendal was established in 1989 by the Norwegian Ministry of the Environment to support environmentally sustainable development by collaborating with the United Nations Environment Programme and other partners. In recent years, GRID-Arendal has grown significantly.
The Managing Director heads a dynamic organisation with highly qualified professional and creative international staff. GRID-Arendal seeks a results-oriented leader that can maintain a high profile for GRID-Arendal, guiding the continued development of the organisation and ensuring that GRID-Arendal continues to innovate, implement, and deliver high quality services and products in a competitive international environment.
The Managing Director should be a strong and inclusive motivator with abilities to provide solid results. It is expected that the Managing Director focuses on securing the organisation’s financial basis, an excellent working environment, and the strategic relevance of GRID-Arendal both within the Norwegian context and on the global arena. Applicants should have strong collaborative and communication skills to develop networks and good relations. The Managing Director is responsible for the daily operations of GRID-Arendal, acting as the main point of communication between the Board of Directors and the organisation. The workplace is Arendal, Norway, with frequent international travels.
- Relevant higher academic degree, at least master level
- Leadership abilities, including demonstrated management abilities and capacity in organisational development, creating a good work environment and motivation of staff
- Good understanding of the global environmental agenda
- Excellent outreach- and communication skills, including excellent spoken and written English
- Experience in cooperation with international partners
- Good understanding of principles in Norwegian working culture and administration.
- A record of creative thinking and innovative approach
- Ability to generate project-based fundraising
- Experience with the UN system or similar international bodies
- Ability to communicate in a Scandinavian language
GRID-Arendal will offer:
- Competitive salary based on qualifications and years of experience
- International working environment linked to the UN Environment Program and Norad (manager of grants in the field of development from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Climate and the Environment)
- Work in one of Europe's leading environmental communication centers, of great social significance.
- A good working environment with the opportunity to be part of an interdisciplinary, challenging, creative and ambitious research and information environment.
- Flexitime scheme, with workhours for summer and winter time.
- Exceptionally good insurance and personal benefits in addition to salary.
- Salaries are subject to Norwegian tax regulations.
GRID-Arendal is committed to building and maintaining a diverse and welcoming workplace. Applicants from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. GRID-Arendal practices equal gender opportunity and female candidates are encouraged to apply. Learn more and apply here by June 30, 2023.