JYU is one of the largest and most popular multidisciplinary research universities in Finland. Our naturally beautiful campus is home to a dynamic and collaborative community of almost 2,600 experts and 15,000 students. Of all universities in the world, JYU is among the top three percent and represents the best of the world in several of its disciplines.
It was here, in 1863, that Finnish-language teacher education began and the foundation of the world-famous Finnish school system was established. Since then, the dialogue between research, education and society has been our driving force. Today JYU brings together education and psychology, natural sciences, humanities and social sciences, sport and health sciences, business and economics, and information technology into a multidisciplinary community brimming with the latest knowledge and skills.
Our strategic focus is to bring wisdom and wellbeing for people and society. Our vision is to be a global leader in the study of learning, wellbeing and basic natural phenomena, reshaping competence to build a sustainable society.
Some of our highlights in research and education:
- Honoring our legacy as the first teacher education provider in Finland, we continue to be the largest in the field in Finland and carry out internationally recognized multidisciplinary research in the field.
- Our Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences is the only one of its kind in Finland.
- The JYU Nanoscience Center provides an interdisciplinary cooperation platform for physicists, chemists and biologists and our Accelerator Laboratory is a unique and cutting-edge research environment.
- JYU School of Business and Economics is an AACSB, AMBA and BGA accredited business school.
- The JYU Centre for Interdisciplinary Brain Research (CIBR) provides research facilities and support for neuroscientific research across different disciplines.
JYU also hosts
- Finnish Institute for Educational Research
- The Centre for Multilingual Academic Communication
- The Centre for Applied Language Studies
- Finland's largest Open University
Facts and figures
|Total Number of Staff||2600|
|Number of Academic Staff||1570|
|Number of Students||14700|
Our strategic core fields of research are:
|Web link for international students||https://www.jyu.fi/en/apply|
|Fields of Study Offered||Teacher training and education science (broad programmes)
Teaching and training
Training for pre-school teachers
Training for teachers at basic levels
Training for teachers with subject specialisation
Arts (broad programmes)
Music and performing arts
Humanities (broad programmes)
History and archaeology
Philosophy and ethics
Social and behavioural science (broad programmes)
Sociology and cultural studies
Political science and civics
Social and behavioural science (others)
Journalism and reporting
Library, information, archive
Journalism and information (broad programmes)
Business and administration (broad programmes)
Marketing and advertising
Finance, banking, insurance
Accounting and taxation
Management and administration
Business and administration (others)
Biology and biochemistry
Life science (broad programmes)
Physical science (broad programmes)
Physical science (others)
Mathematics and statistics (broad programmes)
Computing (broad programmes)
Engineering and engineering trades (broad programmes)
Engineering and engineering trades (others)
Health (broad programmes)
Therapy and rehabilitation
Social work and counselling
Environmental protection (broad programmes)
Natural environments and wildlife
Environmental protection (others)
Security services (others)