Formerly known as The Arctic Technology Centre, ARTEK, Arctic DTU is a joint venture between the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) and Tech College Greenland (KTI) located in Sisimiut, Greenland.
Arctic DTU is the only Danish institution to offer a programme in Arctic Engineering and courses in Arctic Technology on bachelor of engineering (B.Eng) and master level. Today there are more than 100 students enrolled at the B.Eng education while nearly 70 Arctic engineers have graduated.
The B.Eng in Arctic Technology spans over five different specializations:
- Buildings – architectural engineering & load bearing constructions
- Technical Building Services – indoor climate, building energy and plumbing
- Environment – water, wastewater, solid waste and environmental assessment
- Constructions – rock, permafrost and raw material extraction
- Planning – infrastructure, local and regional development
The Arctic Semester in Sisimiut is a master level course open to international students. The Arctic Semester focuses on building design for the Arctic, Arctic infrastructure & constructions and Arctic environment & energy Systems.
The Arctic Semester in Sisimiut is part of the Nordic Master Programme in Cold Climate Engineering offered within the framework of The Nordic Five Tech.
Arctic DTU conducts research, innovation and research-based consultancy in arctic technology and contributes through this to the building and spreading of knowledge about arctic technology in Greenland and the arctic region as a whole. The mainfour fields of research cover planning, sustainability and infrastructure, Arctic environmental engineering, constructions and physical environment and building & energy in the Arctic.
Facts and figures
|Total Number of Staff||20|
|Number of Academic Staff||12|
|Number of Students||100|
Constructions and physical environment
Arctic environmental engineering
Planning, sustainability and infrastructure
Building and energy in the Arctic
|Fields of Study Offered||Physical science (broad programmes)
Engineering and engineering trades (broad programmes)
Architecture and building (broad programmes)
Environmental protection (broad programmes)
- Master Nordic Master in Cold Climate Engineering
- Master Extreme Engineering - Arctic Semester
- Bachelor Arctic Technology
- Master Arctic mineral resources: Environmental impacts and prevention
- Master Industrial Plants & Infrastructure Constructions in the Arctic
- Master Sustainable building in extreme environments
- Master Environmental Engineering in the Arctic
- Master The Arctic Infrastructure and Society
- Master Extreme Climate and Physical Nature
- Master Arctic Technology
- PhD Fate of the Arctic spring bloom