Students will obtain knowledge of theories concerning vital aspects of nature based tourism.
- Interpretations of nature; historical and prevailing paradigms in conceptions of nature; bio-centric and anthropocentric approaches
- Nature based tourism and commercialization of wilderness; eco tourism, sustainability and other central concepts and approaches
- Tourism and nature governance; synergies and conflicts
- Norwegian nature management system; everyman's right, the The Friluftsliv act, the nature conservation system
- Protected areas; stakeholders and relations and dynamics - models for stakeholder and public participation in tourism management
- Different types of knowledge in management of the nature-tourism nexus; accountability, responsiveness, and the precautionary principles
- Trends in nature based tourism
PhD students or holders of a Norwegian master's degree of five years or 3+ 2 years (or equivalent) within the fields of tourism, hospitality, social sciences, humanities, business administration or economics may be admitted.
|Language of instruction||English|
|Institution||UiT The Arctic University of Norway|
|Fields of study||Travel, tourism and leisure|