Engineers are trained to solve problems. With the increased awareness of the impact that current energy systems, business and economic activities have on our environment, engineers have a big challenge in the 21st century to transform modern society into a sustainable society.
Sustainability engineering and business (SEB) is the integration of social, environmental, and economic considerations into engineering and business processes that take into account the complete product and process lifecycle and its supply chains and energy system design methods. The SEB course aims at developing the sustainability mind-set of engineering and business students as emerging leaders in engineering organizations and sustainable businesses. To lead change in these organizations the SEB course will encourage a move from the reductionist attitude to the adoption of a system approach to solving problems that incorporates sustainable development views.
What will you learn?
• The ethical tension between business, society and environment
• Driving change towards sustainability in big emitting industries beyond process and product innovations
• Energy, Sustainability and Geo-sequestration of CO2
• Strategic sustainability thinking using backcasting
• Ethics and Artificial Intelligence in business and engineering decisions
Teaching method: Group discussions and company visits. You will develop your skill in an international team in a learning cafe.
|Language of instruction||English|
|Institution||Savonia University of Applied Sciences|
|Fields of study||Engineering and engineering trades (broad programmes)|